Become a sponsor
We have opportunities for businesses to sponsor aspects of the UTC operation in order to help us succeed in preparing students for the workplace.
Funding context and pre-opening budget
The building is funded by the Education Funding Agency as with any other new school. Our founding members - the University of Sunderland, Hitachi Rail Europe and Gestamp Tallent - are making significant contributions but both pre-opening and revenue budgets are tight and we need to raise funds.
The funding associated with UTCs is the same as any other state school once they are up and running. Funding is on a per-student basis and as a small school we will not have the economies of scale associated with larger educational establishments. A UTC is expensive to run because of:
- Smaller class sizes, expensive equipment and materials
- Travel of students during the working day for placements and visits
- Employing a full-time Workplace Learning Manager to organise our links with industry
- Travel costs for students to get to the UTC
Potential sponsorship opportunities
The following are examples of ways in which businesses can contribute to the setting-up and running of the UTC. Each will be acknowledged on our website, through PR and with appropriate branding within the building or directly on the items identified.
- Uniform or workwear for students
- Sponsor a room/facility (eg engineering hall, CAD suite, lecture hall, electronics suite, engineering workshop, science lab)
- Salary of Workplace Learning Manager
- Two minibuses for students to access placements
- Support for transport to improve access for students
- A technician’s salary (engineering, science, computing)
- Technical training of staff
- PPE for students and staff
- Technical software (eg Computer Aided Design software)
- Sponsor a course
- Early appointment of Deputy Principal or Workplace Learning Manager
- Recruitment events
- Awards at celebration event
If you're interested in becoming a sponsor of the UTC, please contact our Principal Tom Dower, firstname.lastname@example.org.