Understanding the natural world is important for scientific and technical innovation, and A-Level Biology will help you to develop your knowledge of life and living organisms. The course will also enable you to develop transferable skills which will be useful in whatever direction you take after Sixth Form.
A-Level Biology will support you in developing important skills, including: analytical thinking, problem-solving, teamwork through group experiments, and clear communication through writing reports. Some of the topics you will study include:
- Biological molecules (proteins, lipids, carbohydrates)
- Cells (Eukaryotic and prokaryotic cell structure)
- Exchange (diffusion, osmosis, active transport)
- Genetics (meiosis, mitosis, DNA structure, protein synthesis, adaptations, evolution)
At UTC South Durham, our state of the art equipment will allow you to use practical work to support theoretical content. We are also able to utilise the facilities and expertise of our Business Partners and University links.
- GCSE grade 6+ in maths and biology or
- GCSE grade 6+ in maths, science and additional science
- Strong performance in exams over coursework is an advantage
- We recommend that you study Biology alongside a Level 3 Maths course (A-Level or Core Maths)
The study of plant and animal biology leads directly to a wide range of careers in medicine, scientific research and there are several leading technical development and pharmaceutical companies in the region. More information on careers in Biology can be found here.