Thanks for your interest in Sixth Form at UTC South Durham.
Sixth Form at UTC provides students with the chance to develop their academic and technical knowledge, alongside gaining professional skills through career-focused enrichment.
Our 2019 results were fantastic, with 100% pass rate at A-level and 72% Distinction* grade in Tech level Engineering. Our average Tech levels at Distinction places us in the top of the North East’s Post-16 providers.
Our commitment to supporting our students’ professional development means that they are highly successful in securing jobs, apprenticeships, and places for further study. Our destinations are impressive, and in 2019:
- Everyone who wanted to went on to university and all of them to study STEM degrees.
- Over half secured apprenticeships (higher or advance) – seven times the national average!
- Nobody was classed as NEET (not in education, employment or training)
In Sixth Form, students study one of two pathways: a two year Level 3 route of three or four A-levels and equivalent qualifications, or a one or two year pre-apprenticeship route of practical engineering skills. We meet with all applicants individually before enrolment to design a programme which meets their needs and career aspirations.
There are three clear strands to our student experience:
- STEM focused academic qualifications
- Specialist technical skills and knowledge
- Professional learning: all students undertake a comprehensive programme of visits and placements in companies, including two weeks work experience, in addition to industry-led projects in the UTC and other career-focused enrichment
You can find out more about Sixth Form on the pages below. We would also be delighted to welcome you to UTC. Please visit us to meet our students and staff, and to see our impressive facilities for yourself.