UTC South Durham is a fully inclusive learning environment, and there is an expectation that our students act, both inside the college and outside of it, according to the principles labelled as British Values.
British Values, as described by Ofsted, comprise:
- the rule of law
- individual liberty
- mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs, and for those without faith.
British values are addressed during Citizenship sessions, within the wider curriculum and during drop down sessions with external visitors.
- All staff working at our UTC during 2016 – 17 have completed the Prevent e-learning training course. Prevent is the government’s counter terrorism strategy, which aims to:
- tackle the ideology of extremism and terrorism,
- prevent people from being drawn into terrorism,
- work with sectors (including education) which may include those at risk of radicalisation.